Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Effects of the Weekend Freeze

All of the blueberry plants were in full bloom last week after two weeks of glorious warm weather. And all of those plants now have withered, brittle blooms after the deep freeze that hit last weekend.

I will be very surprised if we get enough fruit from 260 bushes to make a couple of pies, some smoothies, and if we're really blessed, I might be able to freeze a couple of quarts for the off-season. There won't be enough to sell at market.

My potato plants are looking like goners, too. The leaves are mostly dark brown and the stems seem soft, which I can't think is a good sign. Never having grown potatoes before, I'm not exactly sure what a dead plant looks like, but I'll be shocked if any of them survived. The wheat straw mulch, although applied thickly, does not seem to have worked. I should've gone with plastic. Rookie mistake. I don't know....it was so cold for four days, it might not have made a difference.

To say that I'm crushed is a bit of an understatement right now. I'm pretty heavily crushed.

1 comment:

C.L. Dyck said...

Yes, I always calm down eventually... He didn't do any permanent damage. Thank goodness for that floor heating coil - Dave just turned it on for half a day, and everything dried right out.

At the time, I thought to myself, "Go figure - we don't even get things finished, and one of the kids has wrecked it..." It has happened with other things.

I'm so sorry about your blueberries and potatoes!!!! I know that horrible feeling. Oh, dear, oh dear.

Have you dug up the tubers themselves? If they're not mushy, they may resprout, if they haven't already used up all their energy the first time around. I have no sense of how far along things must be down there. The ground's still frozen here.

Cat