Monday, March 26, 2007

Chicks

Got the phone call from the post office at 5:56am. The baby chicks are here, can you please come get them. Yes, sure, will be right over. On a Monday.

The first order, two weeks ago, arrived on a Tuesday morning, making me think that maybe the first flock spent an extra day in transit. Which might explain the high mortality rate we experienced (at least I thought it was high.....the CS rep at McMurrray didn't seem fazed by it.) There were two other shipments of day-old chicks today, too, and both of the other families were there to pick up their boxes. We had a nice little chat session in the lobby of the post office, comparing notes on what we'd ordered and what we already had at home.

These little babies look great and hopped right out of the box to drink and eat. So far, everyone's still alive and scratching. It's very interesting to see how much the chickens from two weeks ago have grown. I knew they were a good bit bigger, but they seem grown-up now by comparison to the fuzz balls that arrived this morning. So cute.

On a botanical note, the tomato plants are coming right along and the spinach in the raised bed has germinated. I love global warming.

2 comments:

C.L. Dyck said...

Howdy!

Thanks for stopping by my "real thoughts" webhome. ;~) I didn't realize you have a place here at Blogger too!

C.L. Dyck said...

It was actually a move from HomeschoolBlogger for me. There are enough young people online there (some of whom are readers of mine), I don't necessarily want to show my cranky, cussy side in front of them. good examples, and so on.... ;~)

But at the same time, I was starting to feel like I wasn't really being me.