Saturday, March 31, 2007

Beets/Chard/Carrots/Haricot Vert

All of the above got planted today on two very nice raised beds out in the ground garden, made by Mike's new tractor implement. Except the beans. They went into a freshly de-weeded raised wooded beds. I did the bean planting the Square Foot Garden method (mostly) by dividing up the 4'x12' bed into 48 squares. In each square, I planted four Straight and Narrow haricot vert green beans from Pinetree Seeds. The SFG book indicated that I could plant nine seeds/plants per square foot, but I think that's a little tight so I spaced them out more.

The beets are Red Ace and Golden Specialty and the chard is Bright Lights, all from Johnny's Selected Seeds. The carrots are SugarSnax and Nelson, also from Johnny's. We planted the Nelson last year and had some seed leftover. They were ok, but I have high hopes for the Sugarsnax.

Last prayers before bed are for the rain that looks like will come tomorrow. It will be wildly applauded and much appreciated.

No comments: